Sender:
From:
Scott Dalrymple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:33:23 -0800
I have been receiving the weekly digest version of the list, so I apologize
if someone has already pointed this out, but there is a Twain-related
article in the Jan.-Feb. 2002 issue (vol. 26, no.1) of *Skeptical Inquirer*
magazine.

The cover story is "Snaring the Fowler: Mark Twain Debunks Phrenology," by
Delano Jose Lopez.  The cover includes a photo of Twain.  The essay
discusses Twain's personal skepticism about the "science" of phrenology, or
the interpreting of the bumps on one's head.  It doesn't seem to contain any
new information for serious Twain buffs, but it may be of interest.

For anyone interested in Twain's skepticism, I'd recommend checking out
Victor Doyno's *Mark Twain: Selected Writings of an American Skeptic,"
published in 1983 by Prometheus Books.  Of course Twain's *Christian
Science* is also a fun read.

Scott Dalrymple
Southwestern College