From:
Larry Cebula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:48:23 -0600
Friends:

I teach American Indian history and I always have my students read "The
Noble Red Man" as an example of 19th-century racism towards the Indians.
 I usually pair it with some James Fenimore Cooper.  There is also a
great website that compares and contrasts the two author's views,
"Romancing the Indian" at
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/HNS/Indians/main.html

Of course, most of us Twain fans would just as soon forget about "The
Noble Red Man," since it is so viciously racist (not merely politically
incorrect).  We do not like to think that the man who wrote Huckleberry
Finn and The United States of Lyncherdom was at the same time deeply
prejudiced against American Indians, but he was.  And it isn't just the
one essay, pick up your copy of Tom Sawyer and read only those passages
featuring Injun Joe and you will see what I mean. Or look at thReceived:
from Mail-MTA by mail.mssc.e
descriptions of Indians in Roughing It.

I am working on this very topic right now.  Does anyone else on the list
have any thoughts on Twain and the Indians?

Larry Cebula
Missouri Southern State College