From:
Jackie Reeves Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 14:42:52 -0600

I think (or at least, hope), that you underestimate your audience.

	-----------------------------------------From: "Clay Shannon"
Sent: 03-Jan-2017 19:22:00 +0000
Subject: Reasons to quit (using the "N" word)

 When reading or quoting his works, I have struggled with whether to
keep Tw=
 ain's words "sacrosanct" by retaining the original wording in every
case - =
 specifically, the "elephant in the room" - the so-called "N word"
(see, peo=
 ple don't even like to write it out, let alone verbalize it).
 I have determined to (not uniquely or originally) replace the word
with "sl=
 ave" when I encounter it.
 Here is my reasoning:
 When I do my Twain performance, I do not speak as slowly as Twain did
(alth=
 ough I do speak more slowly than my natural rate). Why? Because
modern audi=
 ences would not have the patience to endure that
"three-words-per-minute" s=
 tuff. They would tune me out quicker than a Barry Manilow song at a
mosh pi=
 t.
 I have also determined not to mimic the Twain gait on stage, again
because =
 the average member of the audience would be distracted, wondering
whether I=
 had hurt my leg or had imbibed two too many toddys prior to trodding
the b=
 oards. Now among a crowd of Twainians, it would be different - I
would prob=
 ably effect the "sailor-on-shore" weave, because they (you) would
"get it."
 So, my point is: the current milieu must be served. And that's why
"slave" =
 should, in my opinion, replace the "N" word when reading/quoting
Twain's wo=
 rks. If the original word was retained, the audience would
understandably b=
 e uncomfortable, distracted, and possibly even antagonistic both
towards me=
 and Twain, viewing him perhaps as the immoralist of the insane rather
than=
 the moralist of the Main.
 What the word meant to be people back in the 1840s (and 1880s, even)
and ho=
 w they responded/reacted to it in those times is different from
people's re=
 sponse and reaction today. It may be that "slave" is, in actuality, a
prett=
 y good modern equivalent for the dreaded and now decidedly derogatory
slur.
 Why Twain used the word (especially in "Huck Finn") could continue to
be di=
 scussed, but (alluding to Daniel Day-Lewis-as-Lincoln's advice to
Tommy Lee=
 Jones' character in "Lincoln"), the most effective way to get to the
other=
 side of the swamp is sometimes to go around it, rather than plunge
headlon=
 g into the muck and mire.
 The preservation of Twain's reputation, and to keep him on the
world's read=
 ings lists, may best be served by bending a little in this case.
 Your responses are welcomed and awaited.=C2=A0- B. Clay Shannon