From:
[log in to unmask] (Laurence S. Moss)
Date:
More on tradeable permits.

I used to do some lecturing on this subject as part of the "senior
executive program" for US government officials.  This was a refresher
course in public policy issues and debates and I naturally kept cartons of
books and pamphlets on the subject none of which is available to me right
now.

What  I learned was that in the special case of the USA, we had many
jurisdictions or states and each set its own policy regarding hunting and
fishing rights.  In order to get the legal right to kill one deer, the
hunter had to obtain a hunting license.  These licenses were given out by
the towns and cities (for example, if you live in Newton, Massachusetts you
go to City Hall and go to the fishing and game office where you can obtain
a permit to fish in designated waters, etc.  Each of the towns and cities
in Massachusetts (there are 353 or so!) has its own policies regarding
these matters.

Again, the policy objective was and remains to limit the number of deer
slaughtered (fish caught) each season.  Offenders (those who hunt without a
license) face stiff penalties such as the loss of their gun permit and/or
the car they were using to transport the deer remains, etc.  Most hunters
accept these rules and regulations and in several conversations that I had
with hunters from all over, they supported these rules and regulations.

Now the various permits were issued in limited amounts.  Some portion of
them must have remained with the mayor or selectman for distribution among
the political favorites, etc., but the larger remainder of the permits
would be distributed by lottery. auction and/or priced on a first-come
first-served basis.

I believe that this information is significant to the discussion because it
contains the germs of the tradeable permits idea.  Again, in my view the
brilliance of the idea is that the government manages by "objectives" and
the objective can be measured and monitored without resorting to the most
intrusive violations of human rights and liberties.  Tradeable permits as a
program has always seemed to me to be typically "American" because it is a
creative solution to a serious problem.  When the tradeable permits idea
was taken over and expanded by the emissions regulators, it seemed so
natural to colonial history buffs especially in New England.

Again, all of this is my best memory of an extremely interesting set of
conversations.

Laurence S. Moss