AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Michelle Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:49:05 -0500
Greetings,

I'm curious to know if there is a dominant or popular watermark
software program that various archival institutions are gravitating
towards (if at all).  I'm developing a virtual exhibit for a community
museum website, which will feature digitized images of photos from the
archival collection.  Though the images are public domain, the museum
holds the rights regarding reproductions for commercial purposes.

We'd like to protect the web site images from unauthorized copying etc,
and have planned to use lower resolution (72 dpi) pictures for the most
part.

But is this enough? (And what if you'd like to provide a few higher
resolution images on a web site?) I've been visiting a number of sites
featuring on-line photo exhibits, yet I haven't seen consistent use of
watermarks.  I'd love to know what others think about the issue.

Finally, any recommendations or advice about Digimarc, Watermarker, or
Photomark programs (or others) would be also be appreciated. I
understand that you can download trial versions of some of these
products, but I'd like to hear from any seasoned experts out there if
possible.

Regards,
Michelle Watson

Web Design Intern