From:
Kathy Garnsworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:24:56 -0700
MARCH 2005 ISSUE OF RESEARCH UPDATE FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE
LIVING

1. What's in this issue?

2. News from the Alberta Centre for Active Living

---------------------

1. WHAT'S IN THIS ISSUE?
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Research/ResearchUpdate/index.htm

a. "The NUDGE Project (Neighbourhood Urban Design to Gain Exercise!)"
By Dr. Tish Doyle-Baker, Human Performance Laboratory, Faculty of
Kinesiology, University of Calgary and Dr. Bev Sandalack, Environmental
Design, University of Calgary.
This article discusses a research project that compares two neighbourhoods
in Calgary in terms of their walkability.

b. "Young Canadian Aboriginal Women's Feelings about Their Bodies"
By Tara-Leigh Fleming, MSc, University of Saskatchewan, with Kent C.
Kowalski, PhD.
This article from the Saskatchewan Population Health & Evaluation Research
Unit (SPHERU) focuses on a research project on the body-related emotions of
young Canadian Aboriginal women.

If you plan to include these Research Update articles in your newsletter or
post them on your web site or Intranet, simply contact me at

-------------------------

2. NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

a. Jamie Yakemchuk
The centre is very sorry to lose Jamie Yakemchuk, our Education Coordinator,
who has just moved to a health-promotion position with the City of Edmonton.
Jamie did excellent work in her time with the centre. We wish her all the
best in her new position.

To see the job posting for the Education Coordinator, visit the centre's web
site at www.centre4activeliving.ca/WhatsNew/JobPosting.pdf. Please note:
This is position is located in Edmonton, Alberta.

b. Find out what centre staff have planned for the next couple of months.
Visit the centre's latest E-Bulletin at www.centre4activeliving.ca/new.html.

c. One-Time Seed Funding for Two Research Projects
The centre recently funded two projects: one on diabetes and one on the
walkability levels of two Calgary neighbourhoods (the subject of this
month's Research Update). For more information, see the media releases on
these two projects. www.centre4activeliving.ca/ContactUs/MediaRoom.html

d. Canadian Health Network (CHN) News (the centre is the Active Living
Affiliate for CHN)
Do you know where we can find credible physical activity resources
(documents or organizations) in the following areas? If so, please contact
- Weight management for Aboriginal people (preferably seniors and men)
- Diseases/Conditions: Mood disorders for Aboriginal people/other ethnic
groups
- Specific activities: Pilates, running (heat exhaustion/heat stroke,
altitude)

e. SummerActive
Spring into summer with this year's SummerActive campaign, May 6 to June 20.
Last year, hundreds of SummerActive events and programs helped thousands of
Canadians take the first steps towards adopting a healthy lifestyle.
www.cd.gov.ab.ca/asrpwf

f. On Your Mark Symposium (Edmonton, Alberta, March 17 and 18, 2005)
Active Edmonton, in partnership with Capital Health, is organizing a
regional working symposium on increasing the physical activity of children
and youth. www.activedmonton.ca/how_active/mark_symposium/cnf_sprk

g. Active Edmonton Challenge
Active Edmonton Challenge
The second Active Edmonton Challenge rewards you for being active. All
winners will be recognized at the Active Edmonton Awards' Event this June
(entry deadline is April 30, 2005). www.activedmonton.ca

h. Bill 201, the Smoke-Free Places Act, is scheduled for second reading and
debate in the Alberta Legislative Assembly on the afternoon of Monday, March
14 at 2:30 pm. For a copy of Bill 201, visit
www.assembly.ab.ca/adr/adr_template.aspx?type=bills. To listen to the live
debate on Bill 201 in the Legislature on Monday afternoon, visit
www.assembly.ab.ca/pro/Audio/index.htm.

----------------------

Kathy Garnsworthy
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Alberta Centre for Active Living
(In office Mon., Tues., Wed., and Fri.)
Tel.: 780 415-6248
www.centre4activeliving.ca

If you have received this message more than once, we apologise. We try to
distribute our information as widely as possible. As we send out through a
variety of distribution networks, some of you may receive this message more
than once.

To remove yourself from the centre's mailing list, contact Margaret Burns at