From:
[log in to unmask] (T. Raffaelli)
Date:
Is it not that, 'having hacked our way through the jungles' of
cross-elasticity, production matrix and the like, 'we find old Marshall
standing to wait us on the other side', as Robertson concluded about the
typology of market competition? The problem has to do with the definition
of a commodity, both on the supply and on the demand side. For the latter,
think of Marshall's considerations about tea and its substitutes, and
Friedman's remarks in his 1949 article. For the former, the right place to
look at is Industry and Trade. What is more relevant, and here is where
Becattini's analysis would be useful, is that the grouping of commodities
is not the same when we look at markets from the two sides; that is, we
have certain groups of commodities on the supply side (textiles, for
instance, or leather), where production processes are similar, and
different connections if we think of demand (Christmas shopping makes us
realize that leather handbags are in competition with foulards, rather than
with leather shoes).
Lancaster's analysis is interesting because it decomposes commodities into
bundles of wants (and this is how marketing strategies work). All this
bears on the theory of value and is at the heart of Marshall's restriction
to partial equilibrium and short deductive chains. Marshall tended to stick
to the supply side, in terms of production processes, with joint - or
better 'in common' - production as the rule,  and Andrews did the same in
the essay I mentioned in my previous message.

Tiziano