From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
CALL FOR PAPERS
HOPE CONFERENCE 2006

LIFE WRITING AND THE HISTORY OF ECONOMICS

Historians of economics are profoundly ambivalent about life writing.
Should
biography be a part of what we do? We make use of autobiographical material
in the construction of our histories but we haven’t, as a discipline,
reflected upon how and why that material was constructed and preserved, and
how it ought to be read and interpreted by contemporary historians. This
conference is designed to facilitate that conversation.

We intend to bring together an interdisciplinary group of 15 to 20 scholars
with interest and expertise in life writing. The range of material that
might engage the conferees is large, and might include such paper topics
as:

• How should we treat autobiographical material in the construction of
histories?
• How are heroes and villains created for popular (economists, historians)
consumption?
• What relationship exists between scientific biography and literary
biography in the history of economics?
• What do we need to know about property rights and ethical issues
surrounding the use of non-public material, particularly material that
concerns living subjects?
•  How do people generally, or scientists in particular, present their
lives in autobiographical material? Do economists present their lives in a
similar fashion?
•  How is autobiographical material subsequently used to reconstruct
history?
•  With respect to oral histories and interviews, can (and should) we
systematically collect and interpret autobiographical material?
•  Are there particular issues related to living subjects and recent
history?
•  Why and how do economists write autobiography?
•  What relations exist between biographer and subject? Biographer and
reader?
Reader and subject?
• What can historians of economics learn from scholars in other
disciplines?

Of course, this list is simply suggestive, and the organizers will welcome
potential contributions on related subjects as well.

The conference will take place at or near Duke University, Durham, North
Carolina, in mid-April 2006. (In the past, HOPE Conferences have been held
from
Friday afternoon through Sunday morning). We will to be able to pay local
expenses (food, airport transfers, lodging, etc.) for participants, but not
for
transportation of conferees to or from Durham, North Carolina.

Proposals for papers (not to exceed five hundred words) and complete
contact
information should be sent to both conference organizers, Evelyn Forget and
Roy
Weintraub, by October 15, 2004 (see contact information below). Papers will
be
selected and authors will be notified by November 30, 2004. The complete
papers
are due March 1, 2006.

All conference sessions will be plenary and the number of papers will be
limited
to 15 to 20 to ensure adequate time for general discussion. All papers will
be
circulated to all conference participants in advance of the conference.
Papers
will be refereed for inclusion in a special supplement to History of
Political
Economy (HOPE), and will be published as a special volume by Duke
University
Press.

For further information, please contact Evelyn L. Forget, Community Health
Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, 750 Bannatyne Ave.,
Winnipeg MB CANADA R3E 0W3 ([log in to unmask]) or E. Roy Weintraub,
Department of Economics, Duke University, Box 90097, Durham NC, 27708-0097
USA