Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:19:06 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)

Published by EH.NET (May 2000)

Michael Perelman, _The Natural Instability of Markets:
Expectations, Increasing Returns, and the Collapse of Capitalism_.
New York: St. Martin's Press, 1999. xiv + 188 pp. $39.95 (cloth),
ISBN: 0-312-22121-5.

Reviewed for EH.NET by Thomas E. Hall, Department of
Economics, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio.

Economists have long known that competition has some ugly side
effects. In competitive industries, firms go out of business. The
competitive process exhibits Schumpeter's creative destruction as
new technologies come along which displace existing industries.
Workers lose their jobs, and firm owners lose wealth. This is all
very unpleasant for the people who are adversely affected by these
changes, but in the net society is better off by reaping the benefits
of economic efficiency. At least, that is what economists generally
believe about the competitive outcome. This is why most
economists argue that (with the exceptions of a few cases such as
public goods and natural monopolies) a policy of enhancing
competition is desirable.

Michael Perelman challenges this conventional economic
orthodoxy by arguing that the economic instability caused by
competition may be so large that it outweighs the beneficial effects
of economic efficiency. In fact, competition is so awful that "the
tendency of the competitive process is to lead to depressions" (p.
62). Perelman does not argue that monopolies are the solution,
instead he contends that society's welfare is enhanced by having
an industrial structure that is neither too competitive, nor too
concentrated. The optimal structure lies somewhere in between,
where the gain in economic stability resulting from a less than
perfectly competitive structure exceeds the loss to society of lower
economic efficiency.

It's an interesting argument, but one that isn't well enough
documented for most people to accept. Too much of Perlman's
discussion focuses on what's wrong with competitive markets, and
too little on the benefits they create. Yes, the competitive process
can cause wrenching changes in society, but what about the lower
prices we pay, the wider variety of goods and services we choose
among, the improved quality of products...? These considerations
are given short shrift compared to the evils of "instability."

A serious weakness of the book is its lack of a discussion on the
role of demand. For example, Perelman considers economic
depressions to be the intensification of the competitive process.
While most of us would agree that competition among firms is
more intense during economic recessions, would we extend the
argument by saying that competition caused the downturn? I don't
think so. Economic recessions are typically caused by slowdowns
in aggregate demand growth. As spending growth slows, firms have
to compete more intensely for scarcer sales. Thus, we observe
more competition during downturns, but competitive pressures
hardly caused the recession.

Perelman also argues that high wages during recessions are good
since "high wages represent a healthy stimulant to the economy . .
. because high wages will encourage productivity" (p. 121). This
efficiency wage argument has merit, but taken to extremes it could
cause major problems. After all, if promoting high wages is such a
great idea, during the next recession let's be sure to raise the
minimum wage to $1 million per hour and see how well that
stimulates recovery!

We often tell students not to get caught looking at the trees when
they should be concentrating on the forest. I think the opposite
applies to this book. Several of Perelman's trees, i.e., the specific
cases he discusses to buttress his argument, are quite interesting.
For example, there is an informative history of entry and exit in the
automobile industry, an excellent discussion of x-efficiency, and a
summary of estimates of the costs of unemployment in terms of
numbers of suicides, homicides, and such that would be useful to
instructors of macroeconomics principles classes. However, I am
considerably less enamored with the forest, the idea that
competition creates more problems than it solves.

Thomas E. Hall is the coauthor (with J.D. Ferguson) of _The Great
Depression: An International Disaster of Perverse Economic
Policies_ (University of Michigan Press, 1998).

Copyright (c) 2000 by EH.NET and H-Net. All rights reserved. This
work may be copied for non-profit educational uses if proper credit
is given to the author and the list. For other permission, please
contact the EH.NET Administrator ([log in to unmask];
Telephone: 513-529-2850; Fax: 513-529-3308). Published by
EH.NET (May 2000)

All EH.Net reviews are archived at http://www.eh.net/BookReview