Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:44 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Mohammad Gani)

   Dear Ross,

   I am amazed that the metaphor of cat and mouse is beginning to take a life
   of its own. I want to avoid being trapped by it. I regard Adam Smith as a
   very big cat (The King Lion). So the identity of who is the cat and who is
   mouse is open to switching, confusing the metaphor.

   I take the approach that we are living in a house that our ancestors built,
   and the construction has been an ongoing process.  I am not as brave as
   Knight to suppose that we have somewhat of a correct view as opposed to the
   presumably incorrect view of our ancestors. I think that every generation
   makes changes in the house they inherit to suit their lifestyles. In my
   case, I am actually trying to return to the roots, sort of going back to the
   old house and see it somewhat from the view of <the mouse = the old cat>.

   Of course I admit that our tastes differ from our ancestors. We get bored by
   long verbal expositions and crave for neat math. May be we also prefer
   sharper distinctions. But I am not convinced that we are intellectually
   superior. Indeed, my argument is that we have strayed quite a lot and ought
   to rethink our point of origin.

   Mohammad Gani