From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
A response to Mohammed. Certainly, it cannot be a vice to advocate
realism, unless you are a surrealist. But I'm not entirely sure that
this is what you have in mind. To focus on errors means that you would
like to deal with statements from the point of view that some standard
of evaluation is possible and that you know what it is. This not
necessarily the same as realism, unless it is reasonable to assume that
everyone faces the same reality and conceives of it in the same way. Right?
I can make an observation, though, on why we don't see more history of
thought that tries to make the case that a particular standard /ought/
to be adopted. This kind of history of thought requires more work. Not
only for the historian but also for the reviewer of the work of the
historian. I personally have tried to publish quite a bit of this kind
of work. Two typical journal responses are: (1)  "I don't think there is
enough interest among our readers in this subject." And (2) "Let me
suggest that you try to publish this in a journal that is more
specialized in dealing with the standard of evaluation you are
recommending." Editors today are seldom intellectual leaders in their
profession. They function more like managers of clearinghouses, it seems
to me.

Then, of course, there are the hostile responses from reviewers who feel
either that no standard exists or should exist and from those who
advocate some other standard. These typically don't have the patience to
allow their ideas to be challenged. Opportunity costs of time are too high.
I can see that this is beginning to sound too much like a blog. Anybody
else have ideas on this?

Pat Gunning