From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Mohammad, I want to encourage you. This field -- the history of economic
thought -- is influenced by two factors that mitigate against the kind
of work you describe. The first, with which I am sure all HESers will
agree, is the neglect of history. Problems that were addressed and dealt
with superbly in the past are continually emerging again in contemporary
literature. They are handled as if the body of economics suffers from
chronic amnesia.

The second is the desire of university sponsors to regard its professors
as experts. It doesn't matter too much in what field or whether the
field itself is worthy of study.

As a result of these factors, most modern historians of economics
struggle to succeed in academia by carving out a niche. For example, one
might become an Alfred Marshall historian or an historian of early
institutionalism. They also join together in associations like HES to
promote their common interests. They create journals which enable the
members to show the universities their expertise with a published paper
and related activities.

In creating associations and journals, they also become gatekeepers. In
such an atmosphere, it is much easier to succeed in the eyes of one's
university by finding a niche than it is to challenge existing works.
And if a gatekeeper happens to be the one challenged, the prospects for
succeeding in cricicism are not good. (I am not sure that I would use
the term "realism" to describe criticism but I am not sure that I can
think of a better term either.)

To counter these developments, it helps to have a few stray,
cantankerous cats. Of course, whether such cats "belong" is largely a
question that only the cats can answer. The male lion only shows up at
breeding time, as I recall; and, even then, he is not welcomed but only
tolerated.

Perhaps the stray cats can join together. I recall some efforts to start
a "Journal of Economic Criticism" about 25 years ago with a lead article
by Gunnar Myrdal. I also recall seeing something like this recently.
Outside of economics, I recall that some people who did not want to be
associated with Marxism but who did not like the mainstream either. They
formed a new group and called it critical theory. Joining with other
strays, thought, might lead to the same results as the community of
domesticated cats.

Yet another issue. With all there is to criticize, how do you choose
where to begin?

"Thanks for the stimulation," says one stray cat to another.

Pat Gunning