From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
Date:
        Without taking any position on of Mohammad Gani's main message
[because I don't have one as I am not clear about what is being
proposed], I would like to make couple of brief comments.

        <Here is how Wassily Leontief  introduced realism to me:  "Well
Mohammad, should we now talk about a vulgar matter?"

         I heard Leontief describing economics as a discipline that has
learnt to fly into the stratosphere in the most sophisticated airplanes;
but alas, with no way to land them anywhere that matters.

         <The gist of what I wish to present is this: the assertion [by
Smith] that the butcher pursues self-interest and does not intend the
benefit the customer gets from consuming meat is only half the story.

        Indeed it is only half the story. How and where the meat was
cooked, and by whom remains untold. Since economics deals with
production, it is an artificial neglect of not only the productive
activity, but also of the other complex motives of human beings. And I
say this with the highest respect for and acknowledgement of Adam
Smith's dazzling insights into human psychology/nature.

        Sumitra Shah