From:
[log in to unmask] (John C. Médaille)
Date:
Wed Jun 18 08:17:35 2008
Dear Douglas,

Allow me to start with your last point as the point of departure. You said:
"People attack Mises and/or Hayek because they
dislike the general idea of free market capitalism,..."

Aside from the assignment of motives, which
converts an otherwise interesting argument into a
mere ad hominem, let me assure you that I am a
supporter of free markets, which is precisely why
I am an opponent of capitalism. Because before
one is either a supporter or opponent of "free
market capitalism," one must find an actual
example of it to support or oppose. And in the
entire history of this planet, no such example
exists. Not one. Every successful capitalism
looks more or less like ours. Not that there
haven't been attempts to establish this Misean
ideal, mostly before Mises. When the Liberals
took over England in 1832, that was their goal.
And it was a failure. In the United States, in
the period from 1853 to 1953, the economy was in
recession 40% of the time. Since the ascendency
of Keynesian policies (of both the right and
left, I might add), the economy has been in
recession 15% of the time. So which of these
periods describes a working economy? People did
not rebel in 1848 because capitalism was working,
but because it wasn't. People did not throw off
the remnants of laissez-faire because they
wearied of prosperity, but because they wearied
of poverty on the one hand and insecurity (even for the rich) on the other.

Now, I am not really a supporter of Keynes, and
even less a supporter of what Keynesianism always
becomes. But I do like things to work, and I
think things working 85% of the time is better
than working 60% of the time. Further, the
"recessions" of the 15% were mild by the
standards of the 40% economy; they would hardly
have been noticed in those days by their
standards. Granted, avoiding recession is not the
only definition of a working economy, but even to
those who disregard equilibrium, 40% is an absurd
number, incompatible with any reasonable
definition of a functioning economy. Therefore,
there is no free-market capitalism for me (or
you) to support or oppose. There is only the
loosely or tightly planned capitalisms we
actually see. And that is all we have ever seen.
As Karl Polanyi put it, "Laissez-faire was
planned; planning was not." I do not oppose
"free-market capitalism" merely because one does
not oppose a chimera; one only opposes (or
supports) taking a chimera seriously as public policy.

This brings us to the point where you disavow
Pinochet, Reagan, Bush, and Thatcher as Hayekian
politicians. Okay, but then you have another
problem: there have been no Hayekian systems, and
no real attempts to get one. But if that is the
case, then you cannot claim that the system
works. You may avoid, by your stratagem, having
to admit that it fails, but neither can you say
that it works. You must modify your support from
the indicative ("it does work") to the
subjunctive ("it would work if only..."), but
that is to convert it from a fact to a wish. And
you may indeed wish upon a star, even a star as
high as Hayek, but that will never make it a
science. As for myself, I am very suspicious of
abstractions. If somebody says to me, "This
works!" I reply, "Where? When? For how long?"
Speaking scientifically,  I think such skepticism is the safest attitude.

But I think you are fundamentally wrong in this.
Thatcher, Pinochet, Reagan, etc., made honest
attempts to follow Hayek's model. They backed off
because they had too. To repeat myself, your
defense of Hayek is identical to the communist's
defense of Marx: "It wasn't properly
implemented." That's one possibility, for both
cases. But the other possibility is that it was
implemented and this is where is leads because of
the law of unintended consequences. History is
the only test of that law, the only test of any
economic theory. I think you need to give proper
consideration to the possibility that Reagan et
al. were sincere, but that the system is
impossible. They went as far as they could, and this is where it leads.

As for the issue of the "obviousness" of Mises's
work, I think Prof. Gani's reading is the more
correct. In this, I don't think you are arguing
with me, but with Mises, for Ludwig it was who
claimed his praxeology has the same
epistemological status as does mathematics or
logic. Now, even the rudest man uses some
numbers, even if he doesn't know what a first
derivative is, and even the most unlettered
applies some logic, even if he doesn't know how
to spell "syllogism." But nobody praxeologizes
unless he has gone to some very special schools
or read some very special books.

As for my knowledge of Austrian economics, well,
what can I say? Only that I have read a fair
amount and done my best, such as it is, to
understand it fairly. But in the time honored
academic tradition of "back at ya, buddy," I can
well ask if you are really all that familiar with
the critiques of Mises? Because I really don't
think anybody really understands an idea unless
they really understand the critiques of that idea.

I will delay any comments on the Pinochet-Hayek
connection (and we could add the Mises-Dolfuss
connection) to another post, but those who want a
quick read on the gory details can pick up Naomi Klein's "Disaster Capitalism."

John C. M?daille