SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Rhonda Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:03:47 -0500
Dear All:

I realize that there are many on the list who do not reside in Canada. But,
what is happening here is not unique.

I would like to understand better why this situation can continue. What I
really would like to understand is why-- with the incredibly well- organized
education and advocacy campaigns we have in Canada; with the high level of
public awareness and expressed concern; with most public health professionals
in positions of some authority having some understanding of the links between
poverty and health; with conferences galore on the topic--we have not budged
this matter at all.

If there is reason to be hopeful, someone enlighten me and the list.How can
Ken Dryden claim not to know what to do? Does he mean he doesn't know what can
be sold to those who might "lose" if Canada got really serious about this
matter?

I wonder at times if the reluctance is mostly about the fact that children are
poor because their parents are poor and many of their parents are single
women..and not enough people in power are really worried about them. Even if
the "real poverty rate" is only 10% as the Fraser Institute asserts, that is
10% too many.

Yours in frustration,
Rhonda Love

Quoting Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>:

> Campaign 2000 Report at:
> http://www.campaign2000.ca/
>
> Child poverty rises for first time in six years
> http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1101180066249_72/?
hub=Canada