From:
[log in to unmask] (John Womack)
Date:
You should not have any trouble getting into the university archives to see
the "college" [i.e., Faculty of Arts and Sciences] course catalogues for
those years, which will show you department by department who had jobs year
to year and at what level and what courses they taught. Call 617-495-2461.
Probably the archivists will show you internal departmental papers on
annual numbers of "concentrators" (undergraduate majors) and graduate
admissions and graduate degrees taken in economics, and maybe also course
syllabi. Beyond that you will need heavy leverage. Given what I believe is
still a 50-year rule, you probably will not get to see departmental records
on hiring at any level past 1954 (and so on), much less deanly or
presidential records on permanent (tenured) appointments. Ditto any
correspondence between deans and individual members of the department's
faculty on "research institutes" or work in Washington (or elsewhere for
the USG or for the state).

For personal reports and records I think your best source now is Arthur
MacEwan, who is, I believe, chairman of economics at U.Mass.-Boston.

John Womack