From:
[log in to unmask] (Dr Chris R. Tame)
Date:
Bruce Caldwell writes

>Can anyone provide a reference for Tennyson's vision of "battle of the air"?

It's from 'Locksley Hall'
(source: Poetry X -  http://poetry.poetryx.com/poems/1831/ )

For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;

Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;

Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
>From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;

Far along the world-wide whisper of the south-wind rushing warm,
With the standards of the peoples plunging thro' the thunder-storm;

Till the war-drum throbb'd no longer, and the battle-flags were furl'd
In the Parliament of man, the Federation of the world.

Chris R. Tame