From:
[log in to unmask] (Anthony Brewer)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Robin Foliet Neill complained of 'citing an author while moving the
substance of the author's material into an alternative and competing
paradigm'. But that seems to me to be what he is trying to do to Joan
Robinson's 'Economics of Imperfect Competition'. Read the book. It is
solidly in the Marshallian/Cambridge tradition from start to finish. It
addressed what was a major, perceived problem for that tradition, the
fact that the competitive model did not allow for firms to be in
equilibrium with unexploited economies of scale. Marshall himself had
tried to solve it with the trees and forest analogy, but that was not
generally seen as adequate. Sraffa had pointed out the problem. There was
a lot of empirical and anecdotal evidence (taken more seriously in
Britain than the US, I suspect) that firms saw demand, not rising costs,
as the constraint limiting expansion.

Look at the immediate context of the work - Robinson was very young when
she wrote it, had been trained in the wholly Marshallian Cambridge
tradition, and discussed and developed it in that environment. Her
mantors and contemporaries (Pigou, Keynes, Kahn, Austen Robinson) worked
in that framework. Marx as not taken seriously. It is I suppose just
possible that Marx played some role in inspiring the work and that she
deliberately chose to present the work in the accepted framework, but I
know of no evidence that would support such a hypothesis. (Is there any,
anybody?) Her Essay on Marxian Economics came nearly a decade later, if
memory serves, and was very much an outsider's view of Marxism.

Neill points to Robinson's discussion of 'exploitation' to support the
idea that there is something Marxist about the 'Economics of Imperfect
Competition'. But look at the definition: exploitation is payment equal
to marginal revenue product but less than price times marginal physical
product (because MR < p). By this definition all factors, not just
labour, are exploited ('the factors of production would all be exploited'
if there were imperfect competition in all industries: p. 312). Under
perfect competition, all factors get their marginal products and there is
no exploitation, according to Robinson. Marxist?

Sorry to be so insistent, but I was brought up on this stuff in Cambridge
in the 60s. I was interested in Marxism, and the 'Economics of Imperfect
Competition' was one of the first books I was set to read in my economics
course. I never saw it as even vaguely Marxist.

Tony Brewer ([log in to unmask])