From:
[log in to unmask] (Tiziano Raffaelli)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

I am unable to answer a student's query about the origin of Keynes's
expression 'animal spirits'. I suppose it was used in the 18th century,
not only in the physiological meaning of the previous period (like in
Descartes's  works, for example), but also in the metaphorical meaning of
'spirit of enterprise'. Does anybody know where the metaphorical use of
the expression comes from?

Thanks,
Tiziano Raffaelli