From:
[log in to unmask] (Roger Sandilands)
Date:
Mark Hassed's short biography of Henry George (see
http://www.taxreform.com.au/HG/bio.htm) states that "in 1886 Henry George
issued his spirited defence of free trade entitled _Protection or Free
Trade_ which has sold over two million copies. Publication was delayed
because the manuscript was lost when it was nearly complete requiring a
laborious re-write."

However, I think I read somewhere that this was partly because a congressman
arranged to have a million(?) copies printed and distributed cheaply or
free, at taxpayers' expense. Can someone confirm this?

And can any economist beat Henry George's record for the number of people
who turned out for his funeral? (Hundreds of thousands; he died during his
second campaign bid to be mayor of New York, 1897.)

Roger Sandilands