From:
[log in to unmask] (James Henderson)
Date:
        I struggled with the issue of defining "a school of
economics" while researching William Whewell and the other
early mathematical economists in Britain.  I concluded that
while there were clear connections between these writers,
still they did not consistitute a "school of thought"
(hence the term the "Whewell GROUP of Mathematical
Economists").    Drawing on Henry Spiegel, I argued that --
"Fairly general agreement defines the sociological
characteristics of a school of economic thought. Henry W.
Spiegel, for instance, notes that a school consists of 'a
recognized leader, a closely knit group of followers to
exalt and spread the doctrines of the master, and a
periodical to help in their dissemination.'  Such schools
frequently have a geographic base, institutional links, and
access to or control over a journal. Finally, 'the founders
of influential schools devoted many years to their nurture'
(Spiegel 1971, 183 - 184)."    While the Whewell Group
shared several of these sociological characteristics,
certain crucial elements were missing.  See James P.
Henderson *Early British Mathematical Economics, William
Whewell and the British Case* pp. 2 - 3.
        I look forward to others' take on this issue

Jim Henderson