From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
Date:
James Henderson wrote:

Drawing on Henry Spiegel, I argued that --
"Fairly general agreement defines the sociological
characteristics of a school of economic thought. Henry W.
Spiegel, for instance, notes that a school consists of 'a
recognized leader, a closely knit group of followers to
exalt and spread the doctrines of the master, and a
periodical to help in their dissemination.'

Can one attribute the lack of a Schumpeterian school or even a nucleus of it to
such semi-biographical factors? I remember Bob Heilbroner, who was his student at Harvard,
saying that Schumpeter never promoted his work among his students and assiduously
refrained from assigning his works as readings. But I also remember hearing/reading that
Schumpeter was unhappy that he did not leave a 'school' behind.

At least in his own actions, he would not be guilty of "The one thing that cannot be
forgiven a great scholar is the school he leaves behind him", quoting Tom Easterbrook via
Robin Neill.

Sumitra Shah