Date:
Dear List-members

Does any member of this list have expertise in the history of =
accountancy, or know of anyone with such expertise, and interest in the =
following topic?

The 'Dissent in Science' seminar series at the Centre for Philosophy of =
Natural and Social Science (LSE), organised by Valeria Mosini, has spent =
the last 18 months looking at the issue of the concept of equilibrium in =
economics.  We have explored the topic from many perspectives, but it =
occurs to us that there is one more interesting possibility.  Mary =
Poovey starts the first substantive chapter of her 'History of the =
modern fact' (an epistemological history of political economy) with the =
statement that "since at least the 17th century sciences of wealth and =
society have been pervaded by the metaphor of book-keeping".  Much of =
the chapter is concerned with the trope of 'balance' introduced with =
double-entry book-keeping in the 16th century.  It would be great if we =
could get a historian of accountancy to talk about the contribution of =
the metaphor of "balancing the books" to the development of modern ideas =
of equilibrium - if indeed there is any such link.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards

Andy Denis