From:
[log in to unmask] (Roger Sandilands)
Date:
A propos Spiegel's definition of a school as "consisting of a recognized
leader" with "a closely knit group of followers to exalt and spread the
doctrines of the master", Sumitra Shah wrote:

> Can one attribute the lack of a Schumpeterian school or even a nucleus of
> it to such semi-biographical factors? I remember Bob Heilbroner, who was
> his student at Harvard, saying that Schumpeter never promoted his work
> among his students and assiduously refrained from assigning his works as
> readings. But I also remember hearing/reading that Schumpeter was unhappy
> that he did not leave a 'school' behind. >

Walter Salant told me the same thing, and that his students were frustrated
that he never told them what he thought, only what others thought. Likewise,
Richard Goodwin wrote me that Schumpeter "was a curious man, in some ways
vain, but for example, in his lectures he never mentioned his own work...
[nor] in his great work on history of theory."

Commenting on my account of how Schumpeter's teaching assistant, Lauchlin
Currie, despised his reactionary views on the Great Depression, Goodwin told
me:

"Indeed I thought the faculty at Harvard were a bunch of whited sepulcres;
and I still think so. While I was there seven professors published a book
about the Great Depression -- a book of concentrated mumbo-jumbo that has
been rightly totally forgotten; they were labelled the 7 Wise Men. And it
included Schumpeter, whom I admire enormously, but who talked the most
unutterable rubbish at the time... My dismissal of Harvard did not include
Currie... Fortunately I took Currie's course and it was more or less the
only good thing I found in the economics faculty...

"About Schumpeter: Currie was wrong, though he had good grounds. As an
undergraduate, I was a member of a discussion group and for one meeting we
asked the newly arrived Schumpeter to explain Marx to us. He told us that
his economics was all wrong, though he had some good ideas. As a youthful
radical I was furious with him and returned, some years later, full of
hostility to him. After one year's contact I began to soften and ended up
being a friend and great admirer. He was a real continental intellectual; he
loved discussion and would give any amount of time to anyone who, he
thought, had anything to say. He was a snob and a reactionary, but Paul
Sweezy and myself were two of his best friends, and he knew we were both
hopeless reds. For him, in fact, since we both came from banking families,
we simply illustrated how capitalism would end, not the way Marx said."

Roger Sandilands