From:
[log in to unmask] (Tony Brewer)
Date:

Responding to Alan Freeman and Pat Gunning.

I agree with everything that Pat says. I hope what I have to say
complements it. I also agree with Mary Schweitzer that the meaning of
words changes.

Alan: your mail clarifies the question greatly. I will concentrate on the
question: what do economists mean when they speak of 'the market'?

Words do not have to have a precise meaning. 'Energy', for example,
has a precise meaning in physics but is used elsewhere with a broader
meaning - one might say that a performance had great energy. Similarly,
discussing (say) baseball or rugby, one might talk of 'the game'
meaning either a particular game which is under discussion or the sport
of baseball (or rugby, or whatever) as a whole. In the latter case, one
might refer only to the professional game or to the game as it is played
at club or school level, and so on. The meaning is context dependent.
Most words have meanings that are context dependent and are more,
not less, useful as a result.

One of your examples is Adam Smith - 'the division of labour is limited
by the extent of the market'. In that case, surely, he was referring to the
extent of the market for each particular product. Division of labour in
pin making is limited by the extent of the market for pins, and so on,
product by product. Smith uses the word here and there in the Wealth
of nations, with differing, context dependent meanings - for example,
'on the market' means 'for sale', and so on. I don't think Smith had any
single, clearly defined concept of 'the market' in general. Why should
he?

In many cases, I guess, where no particular market is specified
explicitly or implicitly, 'the market' means markets in general.
Vagueness may be desirable, to leave open the question of which
things are markets or are like markets in some way. I don't believe that
there is any generally agreed answer to your question, but that need not
be a bad thing. Some things are close to being competitive markets,
other things are further away from the ideal but market theories may still
 give us useful insights.

Two more comments. First, I don't believe that any competent
practising economist would claim that there are 'irresistible natural laws'
in economics like those of physics. The whole tendency is away from
that kind of thinking with the development of the economics of
information and game theory. Second, I think that by referring to the
market as 'an institution' you are on the right track. But it is not clear
where the boundaries of an institution are drawn. Take the institution of
'the state'. Are UK universities part of the state? US private universities
which receive federal and local government funds? What about
veterans organisations, political parties, lobbyists? And so on. We can
reasonably draw the boundaries in different places according to the
problem at hand.

Tony Brewer ([log in to unmask])