From:
[log in to unmask] (Barkley Rosser)
Date:
       A further curiosity about this is that Ely
himself had been subjected to an effort to
fire him at Wisconsin in the 1890s by members
of the state legislature who objected to his
advocacy of workmens' compensation.  The
oversight body of the university did not fire
him and its statement regarding this included
something that has come to be viewed as a
symbol of the university, appearing on a plaque
on the central building of the campus.  I do not
remember it fully, but it says something to the
effect that at that university there will be no
restricting the "process of sifting and winnowing
by which alone the truth shall be discovered."
The "sifting and winnowing" line in particular
has been viewed as almost as a mantra there,
to the point of being a cliched joke.
      Regarding the Friedman affair, I note that
Ross was not in the economics department at
that time.  Friedman did not approach the ACLU
for support, the matter never getting into the courts,
so Ross cannot be held responsible, even indirectly,
for what transpired.
      Mark Perlman can probably comment on that
matter more authoritatively, as his father, Selig, was
Friedman's main supporter and was also the first
Jewish faculty member at the university, I believe.
Most now accept that anti-Semitism was probably
a factor, at least on the part of some individuals, but
it was not the only factor.  According to Robert Lampmann's
book on A Century of Economics at Wisconsin (from the
early 1990s, published by University of Wisconsin Press,
I believe), at least as big a factor was that Friedman had
been hired to teach statistics, and some of the institutionalists
opposed him out of fear of math coming in and supplanting
institutionalism, which in fact happened in the 1960s in the
department.
      The econometricians who
eventually came in, Arnold Zellner and Arthur Goldberger,
were drawn partly because of the presence of George Box
in the statistics department.  Box was the son-in-law of
R.A. Fisher, the population geneticist and biometrician,
who visited periodically because of the presence of the
geneticist Sewall Wright, who had come in the early 1950s
at the invitation of James F. Crow.  Wright was a codiscoverer
of the identification problem, among many other things.

Barkley Rosser