From:
[log in to unmask] (Bruce Caldwell)
Date:
[Sorry for the previously garbled post. HB]

I come bearing a set of puzzles for the New Year.  I am finalizing the
text for the _Collected Works of F.A. Hayek_ edition of _The Road to
Serfdom_ and am trying to track down the origins of some phrases that
Hayek quotes but does not provide references for.  If anyone can help me,
I will both be very grateful and will be happy to note you in my
acknowledgements. I have spent a number of days on these to no avail so I
will also be very impressed!

1. In chapter 1, p. 16, Hayek has the following sentence:  As is so often
true, the nature of our civilization has been seen more clearly by its
enemies than by most of its friends: "the perennial Western malady, the
revolt of the individual against the species," as that
nineteenth-century totalitarian, Auguste Comte, has described it, was
indeed the force which built our civilization.

Does anyone know the origin of the quote from Comte?

2. In Chapter 2, p. 24, Hayek notes that Saint - Simon said that:  those
who did not obey his proposed planning boards would be "treated as
cattle."

Does anyone know the origin of Saint - Simon's quote?

3. In chapter 6, p. 82, Hayek states that: As Immanuel Kant put it (and
Voltaire expressed it before him in very much the same terms), "Man is
free if he needs to obey no person but solely the laws."

I found the origin of the quote from Voltaire, but does anyone know where
I can find Kant saying this?

4. In chapter 8, p. 107, Hayek says that "the young Disraeli" is
responsible for the quote in the following sentence: The nightmare of
English nineteenth-century political thinkers, the state in which "no
avenue to wealth and honor would exist save through the government," would
be realized in a completeness which they never imagined...

Does anyone know where Disraeli said this?

5. Finally, for the literary minded, in chapter 15, p. 234, appears the
following 2 sentences: It is worth recalling that the idea of the world at
last finding peace through the absorption of the separate states in large
federated groups and ultimately perhaps in one single federation, far from
being new, was indeed the ideal of almost all the liberal thinkers of the
nineteenth century. From Tennyson, whose much-quoted vision of the "battle
of the air" is followed by a vision of the federation of the people
which will follow their last great fight, right down to the end of the
century the final achievement of a federal organization remained the ever
recurring hope of a next great step in the advance of civilization.

Can anyone provide a reference for Tennyson's vision of "battle of the
air"?

My thanks in advance for any help that anyone might be able to provide,
and a happy new year to all.

Bruce Caldwell