From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
Date:
E. Roy Weintraub Wrote:
                The ironic foil-thrust of Professor Shah, to the "Sambo" list remark, is a
model response. I am less accepting of such stuff, for were I or my colleagues to utter
Schliesser's sentence in a coeducational class, we would face harassment accusations. Or
was this another "tin ear" contribution to the thread?

I am a little confused about my  'model response'. I suppose it is an ironic description
of it. In any case, being less accepting of it is understandable, since it really was not
a thoughtful response to the conversation on the thread, but something of an aside
inspired (provoked?) by the seemingly beguiling poem posted by Pat Gunning.  My apologies
for veering off the subject in what may have seemed like an insensitive contribution.

I would like to add one more aside, if I may. I am new to the community of historians of
economics, but I have realized that Roy is engaged in a salutary endeavor to make the
subdiscipline into a respected field with a viable future that it deserves to be. So I
understand his concern and salute his efforts, even though other scholars might differ
about what needs to be done.

Best,

Sumitra Shah