From:
[log in to unmask] (John Womack)
Date:
All this discussion has been (to me) highly interesting. But S. Shah's
comments seem (to me) to go right to the intellectual point. The economists
of whom I wrote (not all but probably most of them) would argue, "If I
teach physics, why should I take the time to teach about phlogiston, just
to explain it's wrong? Or if medicine, why waste time teaching about the
humors, just to explain that's wrong?" You guys--most of you apparently in
Economics departments--have more experience debating with such types than I
do. And you know that showing them conceptual problems in Smith or Marshall
(or anything else pre-2000), or appealing to them to be more cultured, or
trying to shame them is all useless effort. How do you beat them
intellectually?

John Womack