From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin D. Hoover)
Date:
Dieter B=F6genhold's reference to Schumpeter as well as Kevin Quinn's re=
mark
that history of thought is not all history of error bring to mind a
quotation that I have used in the first lecture of my graduate history o=
thought classes.  Schumpeter is writing about monetary theory:

"We know of course that history repeats itself.  But it is amazing and
perhaps a little sad to observe that economists, swayed by the prevailin=
humors of the hour, also repeat themselves and that, blissfully ignorant=
 of
their predecessors, they believe in each case that they are making unhea=
rd
of discoveries and building up a brand-new monetary science.  However,
there are some things to be gleaned from a history of analysis."  (Histo=
ry
of Economic Analysis p. 712)

Earlier he writes that the point of history is not to assign credit, but=

has real force for the practice of economics:   ". . . the advance of
economics has been and is being impaired by . . . recurrent losses of
previous accumulation of knowledge."  (History p. 706)

Kevin Hoover