Date:
 From E. Roy Weintraub's quotation of the letter by D. Wade Hand:

" As officers in the History of Economics Society, with 300 members in total (180 in the
US and Canada, and 120 in other countries), linked by a web-
list of over 800 members in 40 countries, we want you to be aware of
our concerns, and ask that you re-list HOPE and newly list our
society's journal JHET as well as the third core journal in our
field, EJHET.  "

Do I remember correctly that HES has formed committees to increase the membership in the
society? In a distant past, the same theme had come up, with some expressing surprise and
sadness that so few of the participants on the HES list are members, even though the
membership fee is relatively small. The list members display a depth of interest and
quality of engagement in the topics which is tremendous. So I am puzzled at the small
membership roll.

HET is the one sub-field which does not come with its own ideological baggage. At the same
time, it can use the categories of analyses developed by various schools to enrich our
understanding of the history of economics and provide valuable guides to its future. ( I
know am blithely sidestepping the issue of  'why teach errors' etc). For example, feminist
economists have made important contributions to the study of classical, Marxian and
neoclassical economics by using the feminist lens. So I would like to suggest that all
members of the list who come from different perspective contribute not only to the wealth
of the exchanges that take place here, but also to the health of the organization which
exists for our benefit. It will be one more argument in favor of its being taken
seriously.

Pat Gunning wrote:

"This, in turn, is due to the low language requirements for econ majors of American and
European universities, particularly as they apply to foreign students."

Even if economics students have literary  proficiency,  it is of not much practical value
in their studies. The enrollment in economics has lately increased (link below), but I
believe it is because of the more lucrative finance studies bundled with economics, rather
than economics as a social science, in all its majesty as a study of how mankind goes
about satisfying its material wants. If  HET is lost, many smart young economists will be
deprived of ever knowing how much more their discipline has to offer them as scholars and
practitioners.

http://insidehighered.com/news/2005/07/18/econ

Sumitra Shah