From:
[log in to unmask] (Nicholas J. Theocarakis)
Date:
[Looks like Nicholas is going to help clear up James' "bleeding heart" reference! HB]

Ein bleeding heart oder ein bezahlte Klopffechter?

First a point regarding Marx's invective. In the Afterword to the second
German edition of the 1st vol of Capital, he certainly does not call Ricardo
or JS Mill "hired prize fighters" [bezahlte Klopffechterei, a Klopffechter
is someone who fences to get money for the show as opposed to a true
Fechtmeister].

On the contrary he talks about the death knell of scientific bourgeois
political economy.  Marx never doubted Ricardo as a scientist.  In the same
passage, Marx explicitly excludes Mill from those who are hired prize
fighters.  He writes: "Men who still claimed some scientific standing and
aspired to be something more than mere sophists and sycophants of the
ruling-classes tried to harmonise the Political Economy of capital with the
claims, no longer to be ignored, of the proletariat. Hence a shallow
[geistloser] syncretism of which John Stuart Mill is the best
representative."

The question is not that of attributing bad or cynical motives or a bleeding
heart, for that matter, to those who hold a different view. I will not hold
Newton responsible if a break my leg. It is not even a question of normative
vs positive science. [we are all wertfrei scientists now]   The question is
whether the definition of economics as a science of choice is either
relevant or theoretically fruitful.  And I believe it is not.

Nicholas J. Theocarakis