From:
[log in to unmask] (Malcolm Rutherford)
Date:
I am not sure about the German source, but it seems probable.  There is an
extensive American literature on "excess competition" or "cutthroat
competition."  Some of this arose from issues relating to railroads and
competition in the presence of high overheads, which may force prices below
average total cost.  Some of this can be found in writers such as Hadley
and Jenks in the 1890s.  See Parrini and Sklar 1983 "New Thinking about the
Market", Journal of Economic History 43 (Sept): 559-79.  This line of
thinking is quite corporatist in attitude, and culminated perhaps in the
suggestions of industrial control by trade associations in the 1920s, such
as the Swope Plan in the US.  American institutionalists also discussed
this issue in the 1920s but from a less corporatist stance.  See
particularly J. M. Clark's papers and book on overhead costs (1923) and
Walton Hamilton on the coal industry.  Hamilton's views on excessive
competition are interesting, particularly due to his involvement in the New
Deal, both in the NRA and in antitrust.  My recent paper on Hamilton and
the Public Control of Business is on my web site and includes discussion of
the coal industry case.

http://web.uvic.ca/~rutherfo/mr_home.html

Malcolm Rutherford