From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Steve, let me try to interpret this statement by Robbins in terms of
error. My reading of the passage is that Robbins is claiming that if
"the economist" studies some HOT, he will be in a better position to
avoid error in the "purely analytical field." Second, he is claiming
that past policies led to problems, which presumably means that the past
policies were erroneous.

I wonder how Robbins would judge whether an error has been made in the
analytical field and how he would determine whether a problem exists
that was caused by past policies. What kinds of problems does he
mention? And what kinds of policies does he think led to these problems?

It is all well and good to write that errors have occurred. But such
writing is purely rhetorical until one specifies these errors in a way
that a reader can judge whether the writer herself is making an error.

Pat Gunning