From:
[log in to unmask] (John Womack)
Date:
I have pursued the same question (about "industry," what is one?) in trying
to understand the intellectual history of "the division of labor." And
despite continual easy references everywhere in the literature (to
"industry"), in the past and now, I have not found any focused, thoughtful
discussion of the question or reasons for a resolution of it in one way or
another. E.g., there is no entry on "industry" in The New Palgrave. (But
see "industrial
organization.") So far as I can tell, Leontiev got his early input-output
training in Russia from Stanislav Strumilin (originally an electrical
engineer, later a master of Gosplans). The great, discredited, but still
irresistible influence there and then was still Tugan-Baranovskii, but
behind him loomed the greatest influence of all then in these questions,
Karl Bucher (Buecher),
whose idea of historically successive reorganizations of the division of
labor served Lenin, Weber, and many others, then and later. For
contemporaneous English notions of "industry" (connecting with notions of
"the division of labor"), see the original Palgrave, Dictionary of
Political Economy. Farther back is Saint-Simon, farther still are the
Physiocrats and their tableaux. I will follow responses to this query with
much interest.

J. Womack