From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Why use the term "rational" to modify choice? In other words, when a
person uses the phrase "rational choice," what is she trying to tell the
listener that she could not also tell him if she used the word "choice?"

My more basic question is: when one uses the phrase "theory of rational
choice," what goal does she have besides that which she would have if
she used the phrase "theory of choice?"

Perhaps a good answer is the former phrase tells the listener that the
speaker is getting ready to tell him her opinion of what she means by
"rational." This implies that she will tell what she regards as the
difference between rational and irrational. If this is so, then "theory
of rational choice" is very different from the "theory of choice," as I
understand it. I am also confident that it is very different from what
the vast majority of economists, along with the movers and shakers in
the history of thought, have in mind when they do their business. For
example, when these people say that economics assumes self interest,
they do not mean that it assumes selfishness.

Economics as a "theory of RATIONAL choice," by this definition, is more
restrictive because it does not attempt to contemplate choice from the
viewpoint of the individual whose behavior is being described. By this
definition, economics is elitist. It aims to understand, describe, and
predict behavior not from the viewpoint of the person behaving but from
the viewpoint of the student of behavior.

Economics as a theory of rational choice, by this definition, makes no
necessary distinction between humans and animals, such as capuchin
monkeys and Japanese macaques. But, of course, one does not have to be a
rocket scientist to know that there is a difference. Human behavior has
resulted in the complex trading systems, and in products that were
beyond contemplation by the previous generation of humans, and certainly
incomprehensible to the highest levels of animals.

I agree with Alan that something metaphysical is at work here. Humanness
is metaphysical. The human creates the blueprint for the machine that
measures the activity of the mind. The machine cannot logically or

Pat Gunning