From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
I think that both Matt and Kevin are right, although Matt did not defend
his point in his initial post. The issue, it seems to me, is one of the
evolution of fiat currency, not of its use. Kevin is right because
children today learn to use their respective fiat currencies just as the
capuchin monkeys did. The currency becomes a symbol to the individual
that represents a projected consequence of using the currency.

Matt is also right because monkeys did not invent fiat money. Humans
did. And for them, the first users for the most part, and the second
users almost certainly, associated liabilities with its use.

This reasoning, by the way, is an application of the so-called
regression theorem introduced by Mises. The means of introducing money
are discussed by Mises at:
http://www.econlib.org/library/Mises/msTContents.html
See chapter 16.

The reasoning of the regression theorem is also discussed by Mises.
http://www.econlib.org/library/Mises/msTContents.html
See Part 4.

Pat Gunning