From:
Alison Stirling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:18:05 -0400
Health Educ. Res. -- Table of Contents Alert

Hard to believe that an October issue is out - that's rushing the end of
summer too fast for me.  While we prepare to head back into the full rush
of school and work in September, consider these two articles by Canadian
researchers, appearing in two different journals. For the full text
articles you'll need a subscription to the journals, or access through a
library, or a student who has full text access.

I especially recommend the second article on social capital citations.
Excellent critical analysis and thought-provoking in its incisive review
of  research and citations of literature related to social capital. Having
recently read a great deal on the subject, from a variety of perspectives,
I am appreciative of the analysis of this article.

Alison Stirling,
co-facilitator, CLICK4HP

From the latest issue of Health Education Research, contents available:
October 2005; Vol. 20, No. 5

"Using linking systems to build capacity and enhance dissemination in
heart  health promotion: a Canadian multiple-case study"
by Kerry Robinson, Susan J. Elliott, S. Michelle Driedger, John Eyles,
   Jennifer O'Loughlin, Barb Riley, Roy Cameron, and Dexter Harvey on
behalf        of the CHHDP Strategic and Research Advisory Groups
Health Educ. Res. 2005 20: 499-513.
http://her.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/20/5/499?etoc

[Brief edited] Abstract:
This paper examines the utility of linking systems between public health
resource and user organizations for health promotion dissemination and
capacity building, and to identify factors related to the success of
linking systems.  The findings indicate enhanced health promotion skills,
partnerships, resources, infrastructure, and increased programming and
sustainability in the targeted public health organizations of all three
provincial dissemination projects of the Canadian Heart Health
Initiative—Dissemination Phase. Identified barriers to the success of
linking systems included lack of appropriately skilled personnel, funds,
buy-in and leadership. We conclude that linking systems can be flexibly
used to build capacity and disseminate health promotion innovations, and
suggest conditions for success.

"The privileging of communitarian ideas: Citation practices and the
translation of social capital into public health research"
by Moore, Spencer; Shiell, Alan; Hawe, Penelope; Haines, Valerie A. [all
at different research units at University of Calgary]
American Journal of Public Health, August 2005, Vol 95, No.8, pp. 1330-1337.

Abstract: The growing use of social science constructs in public health
invites reflection on how public health researchers translate, that is,
appropriate and reshape, constructs from the social sciences. To assess
how 1 recently popular construct has been translated into public health
research, we conducted a citation network and content analysis of public
health articles on the topic of social capital.

The analyses document empirically how public health researchers have
privileged communitarian definitions of social capital and marginalized
network definitions in their citation practices. Such practices limit the
way public health researchers measure social capital's effects on health.
The application of social science constructs requires that public health
scholars be sensitive to how their own citation habits shape research and
knowledge.