CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Ianthe Andrea King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:11:47 -0400
[Please forward widely!]

HIV Without Borders: Collaborating globally against the pandemic

Canadian Crossroads International (CCI) Global Forum

December 10-11th, 2005

            Metro Hall, 55 John St., Toronto, Ontario

www.cciorg.ca/ontario/forum2005.html

ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PROPOSALS

Mark your calendars! Canadian Crossroads International’s HIV Without Borders: Collaborating globally against the pandemic is a global forum on international cooperation in the fight against HIV/ AIDS.

The Forum is a unique gathering of international and Canadian community-based organizations and other concerned individuals to discuss strategies for working across the North-South divide on issues of HIV/AIDS. There is a palpable desire amongst many organizations and individuals to work internationally towards shared solutions to this global pandemic.  To be effective, we must be equipped to recognize and respect the ways diverse cultural contexts create diverse responses to HIV/ AIDS.  With this respect comes an openness to learning and working together across borders, drawing on both our similarities and differences.

This Forum will explore and enhance our preparedness for working collaboratively. It is an opportunity to increase our capacity to share knowledge, skills and resources to enable effective work across borders on HIV/AIDS – whether by AIDS service organizations, NGOs, businesses or average Canadians. The Forum will bring together those concerned from the South and North to share skills, strategies and experience, examined through an appreciation of diverse contexts.

CCI is currently accepting workshop proposals for this exciting Global Forum. This is your chance to participate in a unique opportunity to engage with others working globally in the battle against the HIV/AIDS pandemic. CCI is open to a range of topics related to global HIV/AIDS work with a North-South comparative focus, but is most interested in proposals that address the following questions:

Ø      How do we improve cross-cultural communication, challenge cultural assumptions and stereotypes, and respect our differences in order to work in partnership across borders more effectively?

Ø      How are HIV prevention strategies affected by a community’s unique social, cultural and economic challenges?

Ø      How do we share resources across borders more effectively? How can we overcome challenges associated with fundraising, private sector support and donor-recipient relations?

Ø      How are diverse communities affected differently by HIV infection?

Please see www.cciorg.ca/ontario/forum2005.html for proposal guidelines and submission form. The deadline for submissions is September 12th, 2005.

Questions? Contact:

Program Assistant

Canadian Crossroads International – Ontario Regional Office

317 Adelaide St. West, Suite 500 Toronto, Ontario. M5V 1P9

Phone: 416-967-1611 x 231

Fax: 416-967-9078

www.cciorg.ca

CCI is a non-governmental organization (NGO) that works to create a more equitable and sustainable world by engaging and strengthening individuals, organizations and communities through mutual learning, solidarity and collective action.  CCI has fostered numerous international partnerships between Canadian and Southern community-based organizations that work in the areas of women’s rights, community and economic development and HIV/ AIDS.