From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:

On 26 Jul 2001, at 11:55, Brad Bateman wrote:

> Thanks for your support for the idea of an international study group
> on monetarism! Your 4 point schemata is very good, I think.
>
> I admit that my own idea had been more limited, focusing more on your
> point number 4: " an investigation of the process by which monetarist
> ideas permeated the policy marketplace (in The Rise and Fall of
> Monetarism, David Smith made a start with respect to Britain)." I have
> felt for many years that we need a version of Peter Hall's (edited)
> collection, _The Political Power of Economic Ideas: Keynesianism
> Across Nations_, which is (for the most part) a set of country case
> studies of how demand management was (was not) adopted in several
> industrialized nations. This is why I had suggested an "international"
> group; I was thinking of a study of when and why monetarism had been
> adopted in different countries and when why it was abandoned in its
> formulation as a theory of macro-policy by monetary aggregate
> targeting.

Just a suggestion, but tentatively there is to be a HOPE Conference in
Spring of 2003 on "Macroeconomics". There has not, yet, been a call for
papers as the conference is not fully developed in structure. Thus it might
be worthwhile approaching Professor Michel Devroey, at Univ. of Louvain, to
see if he and the other organizers might wish to address some of these
topics in their eventually
forthcoming CFP.

E. Roy Weintraub