Date:
------------ EH.NET BOOK REVIEW --------------
Published by EH.NET (September 2004)

Pierre Force, _Self-Interest before Adam Smith: A Genealogy ofEconomic
Science_. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003. ix +279 pp.
$65/=A345 (hardcover), ISBN: 0-521-83060-5.

Reviewed for EH.NET by Gloria Vivenza, Facolt=E0 di Economia,Dipartimento
di Economie Societ=E0 Istituzioni, Universit=E0 di Verona,Italy.

In the past few decades, a growing literature on Adam Smith as
moralphilosopher has been added to the rich series of studies devoted
toSmith as economist; the result has been a renewed attention to theproblem
of the relationship between Smith's two main works.

Pierre Force, Professor of French at Columbia University in New York,a
scholar with a literary training and author of works on Pascal
andMoli=E8re, tackles in this book a subject which is both ambitious
andsomeway limited. Ambitious for the self-evident relevance of
theargument; limited by relying perhaps too much on Albert Hirschman's_The
Passions and the Interests_ as a source of inspiration. Thewell-known work
is proclaimed to be the author's "greatestintellectual debt," but sometimes
one would appreciate that it may beless present. In what follows, I will
limit myself to examining oneaspect of Force's interpretation of Smith's
thought, namely itsconnection with the classics -- although this means that
myillustration of the work will not be exhaustive.

The main purpose of the volume is to single out the "firstprinciples" of
Adam Smith's system in order to investigate if thecommon opinion grounding
the _Wealth of Nations_ (WN) onself-interest can stand the test. To effect
this check the authorengages in a thorough analysis of the philosophical
and psychologicalbases of the _Theory of Moral Sentiments_ (TMS), compared
with thoseof two authors on whose work Smith expressed some
reservations:Mandeville and Rousseau.

Some key concepts are examined at the beginning: the opening passagesof TMS
are related to a passage of Mandeville where it is claimedthat everyone,
even a criminal, feels piety in front of an atrociousscene. The
disinterestedness of Mandeville's pity and of Smith'ssympathy leads Force
to connect the latter with the former, becausehe reduces Smith's concept of
pity to "an empirical illustration ...of the psychological phenomenon that
Smith subsequently proposes tocall sympathy" (pp. 15-16). In the
immediately following pages,"pity" and "sympathy" are used almost
interchangeably. Now, acomparison can be made between homogeneous objects:
I think itinappropriate to connect Mandeville's "pity" and Smith's
"sympathy."Smith would have accepted Mandeville's definition of pity
andcompassion as "fellow-feeling and condolence for the misfortunes
andcalamities of others" (quoted at p. 15), but he makes clear that
tohimself "sympathy" is something _more_ than pity. Although he isaware
that the original meaning of sympathy is participation in theothers' pain
or sorrow, he says that he wants to use the term toindicate "our fellow
feeling with any passion whatever," using "pityand compassion" only for the
sympathy with the sorrow of others (TMSI.i.1.5, cf also I.iii.1.1). Given
the asymmetry in Force'scomparison, it is not surprising that he is obliged
later to considercounterintuitive, straining or paradoxical the passages
where Smithsays that we sympathize more easily with the joy than with the
sorrowof others (pp. 165 and 168).

In the book, the history of the idea of self-interest is illustratedby
opposing an "interest doctrine" of Epicurean-Augustinian origin,based on
the concept that every human action is self-interested evenif seemingly
unselfish (altruism may be an autogratification, so tospeak), to an
"harmony of interests doctrine" of Stoic origin whichpresupposes a concord
of interests between individual and society.

The connection between Epicurus and St Augustine is achieved by meansof
Gassendi, obviously; and perhaps does not take enough intoconsideration the
rich seventeenth-century literature which stressedEpicurus' religiousness.
The problem naturally is that Epicureanphilosophy was considered atheist,
but really it would be better tosay that it was inconsistent with
Christianity. This is why thecomparison between Epicurus and St Augustine
is perplexing, despitethe author's warning in proposing it. His frequent
use of words like'neoStoic' and 'neoEpicurean' makes it clear that he
alludes to themodern developments of the ancient doctrines; and he is
certainly notwrong in searching for a relationship between them and
Christianreligion: but the problem was just that. It is impossible for
ancientphilosophies to come to terms with concepts like original sin
orGod's grace. For the Stoics, medieval and modern thought hadestablished a
similarity (though more seeming than real) with aconcept of Providence; but
the Epicureans, although they did not denythe gods' existence, notoriously
believed that they were notinterested in human affairs: a position which
for Christian religionwas perhaps worse than atheism.

Pierre Force recalls that the "first principle" of the Epicureans
ispleasure, whereas for the Stoics it is virtue; nonetheless, it
seemseasier to connect Christianity with Epicurean hedonism than withStoic
virtue. Why so? The true reason is that Stoic virtue can dowithout God and
His grace; but this criticism could be made only bySt Augustine, obviously
-- the Epicureans were not so different fromthe Stoics under this aspect.
To reconcile the ancient doctrine withChristian principles it was necessary
to distort Epicurus' pleasureby identifying it with virtue and love for
God; just as the Stoics'cosmic order was interpreted in terms of divine
Providence. These"compromises" had certainly a long tradition and were well
alive inSmith's time; I feel it unnecessary to add a new one by
connectingEpicurus with St Augustine.

Space does not allow an accurate report of Force's argumentation.
Heconsiders Smith's position Stoic for its consistency with the"harmony of
interests doctrine" connected with a providential design;and Smith's
adherence to "propriety" instead of "prudence" confirmshis anti-Epicurean
stance. Force thinks that many problems aroused bySmith's works come from
the fact that his Stoicism has been analyzedwith Epicurean instruments,
namely the interest doctrine.

The basic elements of Smith's psychology are examined in closeconnection
with Rousseau's thought (also D. Winch should beconsidered an intellectual
debt), but not only: on this point myreview cannot do justice to the book.
The main character of Force'sanalysis seems to me an attention to
ambivalence in Smith's mainconcepts: sympathy is a natural instinct, but it
involves reasonsince it is a form of identification with another person;
the desireof bettering our conditions although treated as innate
andinstinctive is also rational; even the self-love of WN is considereda
motive only because it is used as an argument to _persuade_ toexchange.
What we have of selfishness obeys God's or nature'srational design. Force's
strategy consists in stressing the rationalcalculation in self-interest,
rather than its instinctual aspect; andthe same happens to all human
propensities which characterizeeconomic behavior.

That Smith integrates instinctive tendencies and reason I cannot butagree;
Force however seems oriented towards reducing the role ofnatural instincts
and ruling out the "selfish hypothesis" even fromeconomic conduct. For
instance, "vanity," not self-love is the motiveof our efforts for bettering
our conditions; a desire which Forcedescribes as exclusively addressed to
gain the others' considerationand esteem rather than to improve material
condition (wealth is asource of approbation, and as such it is sought for).
Thisinterpretation is grounded on a single passage in TMS
(I.iii.2.1)frequently repeated, and seems to be caused mainly by the
necessityto find in Smith a correspondent to Rousseau's amour propre.

Smith notoriously maintains that it is nature's (useful) deceptionwhich
brings us to admire wealthy people: by this conclusion herepudiates the
'philosophical' contempt previously expressed fortaking pains in order to
acquire a position. That this 'deception' isa cause of the "corruption of
our moral sentiments" (TMS I.iii.3.1)is evident to Smith, but nonetheless
it is also evident to us that heconsiders it useful for maintaining the
distinction of ranks and theorder in society, let alone for stimulating
man's activity. We maydiscuss if it is true that Smith does not distinguish
between"economic concerns ... and the symbolic goal of securing esteem
andconsideration" (p. 180): after all, he wrote that the "accommodation"of
the industrious peasant is much better than that of the Africanking -- and
there is no doubt that the latter received more esteemand consideration
than the former, at least in his own socialmilieu.1 But vanity can only be
originated in a passive sympathy, soto speak (the desire for _receiving_
sympathy); and to be the objectof sympathy in this sense is only possible
through that generaldisposition which mankind has to sympathize with joy
(and wealth)that Force finds difficult to explain.

As regards Smith's position about passions and interests, I do notknow
whether he was aware to speak of them "not as antonyms, but
asnear-synonyms" (p. 157). It would not be strange, individualinterests
_were_ egoistic passions in much of the traditionalliterature. The
alternative "passions _versus_ interests" was bornlater, although there is
something true in Stephen Holmes'observation that "the attempt to repress
violent passions byappealing to material interest" is not so modern and
untraditional asHirschman represents it.2

Smith dealt straightforwardly with the problem: he did not shareHutcheson's
opinion that self-interest spoils the merit of an action.He affirms that
self-love can be the motive of a virtuous action, andthat a man who does
not give "the proper attention to the objects ofself-interest" (TMS
VII.ii.3.16) has to be disapproved. Smith'sapproach is to give moral
dignity to self-interest, giving it theright place among human motivations,
rather than to remove it fromthe explanatory principles of economic
behavior. The fact that'Epicurean' prudence must be employed to better
one's conditiondepends on the fact that it is the best means for this; it
is avirtue, although a minor one, and nothing gives occasion, in
Smith'sdescription, to infer that the prudent man's desire to improve
hiscondition is originated in vanity rather than in the care of himself.

So I do not think that Smith rejects Epicureanism so thoroughly asPierre
Force believes; probably because I find that Smith'sEpicureanism is near
enough to the (ancient) source, not interwovenwith St Augustine's doctrine
as proposed in the book.

Despite the narrowness of this review, Force's book has the merit
ofillustrating the wide ranging relations of Smith's thought to that ofmany
other modern authors. Sometimes, however, this seems toovershadow Smith's
originality. An instance of this is the treatmentof Smith's
'republicanism,' which is a matter too debated byscholarship to be dealt
with here. Force's interpretation, however,avoids the main issues usually
connected with the problem: therelationship between
republican/jurisprudential paradigms, betweenvirtue and duty, rights and
virtues, and so on. It seems that Smith'srepublicanism simply derived from
his sharing of Rousseau's criticismof modern commercial society, with
rejection of the reason of statetheory and of the countervailing passions
doctrine.

I am certainly willing to admit that Rousseau was an importantinterlocutor
for Smith as Pierre Force maintains. But Smith had noneed to "appropriate"
another's view, not even if the other was agreat mind like the philosopher
of Geneva.

Notes:

1. I had already written these words when I read J. Hurtado
Prieto's"Bernard Mandeville's Heir: Adam Smith or Jean Jacques Rousseau
onthe Possibility of Economic Analysis," _European Journal of theHistory of
Economic Thought_, 11:1, 2004, p.21. The article, thoughreaching different
conclusions, shares Pierre Force's (and others')approach of analyzing the
relationship of Smith's thought withMandeville's and Rousseau's.

2. S. Holmes, "The Secret History of Self-Interest," in
_BeyondSelf-Interest_, edited by Jane J. Mansbridge, Chicago, 1990, p. 340.

Gloria Vivenza's recently published works include _Adam Smith and
theClassics_, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2001.

Copyright (c) 2004 by EH.Net. All rights reserved. This work may becopied
for non-profit educational uses if proper credit is given tothe author and
the list. For other permission, please contact theEH.Net Administrator
([log in to unmask]; Telephone: 513-529-2229).Published by EH.Net
(September 2004). All EH.Net reviews are archivedat
http://www.eh.net/BookReview.

-------------- FOOTER TO EH.NET BOOK REVIEW  --------------
EH.Net-Review mailing list