From:
[log in to unmask] (David Mitch)
Date:
Tue Nov 20 08:19:26 2007

An Albert Benedict Wolfe was author of _The Lodging house Problem in
Boston_ which was volume II of the Harvard Economic Studies series (which
among other volumes also came later to include Edward Chamberlin's Theory
of Monopolistic Competition and Paul Samuelson's Foundations of Economic
Analysis), my copy was published in 1913 (though with 1906 copyright). I
cannot confirm that this is the same Albert B. Wolfe as the one at Ohio
State in the 1930's, though I would think there is a reasonable chance
this was the case. In the Harvard Economic Studies volume, Wolfe is listed
as Associate Professor of Economics and Sociology in Oberlin College and
Sometime Holder of the South End House Fellowship in Harvard University;
the common Ohio location could suggest further they were one and the same
person. The preface to the volume indicates that "the material for this
monograph was collected during a residence of two years as Harvard Fellow
at the South End House, Boston, 1902-04. In his preface he acknowledges
help from among others W.Z.Ripley of Harvard and Prof.T.N.Carver editor of
the series. I also seem to recall recently seeing Wolfe mentioned in a
paper on settlement social workers--Jane Addams etc. Wolfe concludes the
preface by saying "If he has blazed a way into a problem which others will
attach in Boston and elsewhere, with resources more nearly in proportion
to the task before them, he will deem his labor well spent."

David Mitch