Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:43 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Alan G Isaac)
On John Cage's copyright on silence:

At least his estate thinks it has:
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?20930ta_talk_greenman

>From the piece:
Batt, who is releasing "A One Minute Silence" as a British single this
week, has tweaked the Cage people further by registering hundreds of other
silent compositions, ranging in length from one second to ten minutes. "I
couldn't get four minutes and thirty-three seconds, obviously, but I got
everything else," he said. He is proudest of two of his registered
copyrights: four minutes and thirty-two seconds and four minutes and
thirty-four seconds. "If there's ever a Cage performance where they come in
a second shorter or longer, then it's mine," he said.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac