Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:54 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (GREG RANSOM)
It is worth mentioning the interesting paternity of an
insight that works its way from Ludwig Mises, to Friedrich
Hayek, to Karl Popper, and finally into the work of Thomas Kuhn.
As far as I can trace, the fairly clear recognition of the
many-many problem of perception and observational classification
which blocks reduction to 'physical categories' is found first
in Mises, in his _Epistemological Problems of Economics_, and then
next can be found in Hayek's essay "Scientism and the Study of
Society", and then, with a citation to Hayek, in Popper's "The Bucket and the
Searchlight", and then, finally, in Kuhn's "Second Thoughts on Paradigms."
Perhaps the most indept discussion of this many-many problem is found
in Hayek's _The Sensory Order_, but its significance for epistemology and
the theory of science is perhaps best conveyed by Kuhn:

".. people do not see stimuli, our knowledge of them is highly
theoretical and abstract .. much neural processing takes place between
the receipt of a stimulus and the awareness of a sensation.  Among
the few things that we know about it with assurance are:  that very
different stimuli can produce the same sensations; that the same
stimulus can produce very different sensations; and, finally, that the
route from stimulus to sensations is in part conditioned by education.
Individuals raised in different societies behave on some occasions as
though they saw different things.  If we wer not tempted to identify one-
stimuli one-to-one with sensations, we might recognize that they
actually do .. None of this would be worth saying if Descartes had been
right in positing a one-to-one correspondence between stimuli and
sensations.  But we know that nothing of the sort exits.  The preception
of a ginve color can be evoked by an infinite number of differently
combined wavelengths.  Conversely, a given stimulus can evoke a variety
of sensations, the image of a duck in one recipient, the image of a
rabbit in another.  Nor are responses like these entirely innate.  One
can learn to discriminate colors or patterns which were indistinguishable
prior to training."

Greg Ransom
Dept. of PHilosophy
UC-Riverside