From:
[log in to unmask] (Forstater, Mathew)
Date:

I sympathize with Perry's comment about using fewer authors as the focus
for upper division HET courses. Ideally, lower level HET would be two
courses, organized chronologically. My upper level ('Advanced') HET courses
have used the works of two authors as points of departure for studying
other seminal articles and contributions. As I mentioned, in one course I
use The Essential Adam Smith (which familiarizes students not only with
WON, but TMS, History of Astronomy, and the Lectures, as well) and The
General Theory (along with the 1937 article "The General Theory of
Employment" and a few other pieces).  Other readings are introduced
topically rather than chronologically. So we read Allyn
Young's "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress," Sraffa's 1925 and 1926
articles, and other related material when we are reading Smith's chs. on
acccumulation and technical change, e.g.  We read plenty of 20th c.
stuff--from Joan Robinson to Brian Arthur.  I have another similar course
organized around Marx and Hayek instead of Smith and Keynes.  (at UMKC,
students get plenty of Veblen, Commons, etc. in their required courses on
Institutional Economics).  I may revise these further, though, because
students here also get plenty of Keynes in their macro courses, e.g.  Then
there are other questions--methodology as part of the HET courses, or
separate is a big one.  I would prefer a separate course, but if that's not
possible, then what?  Ditto Economic History. Also, the relation between
HET and alternative paradigms.  At Gettysburg, the course was already
called "Advanced History of Thought and Competing Paradigms in Economics"
(I changed "Competing" to "Alternative").

Mat Forstater