Date:
------------ EH.NET BOOK REVIEW --------------
Published by EH.NET (April 2005)

Joel Mokyr, editor, _The Oxford Encyclopedia of Economic History_.
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003. xli + 2730 pp. (five volumes),
=A3420/$695 (hardcover), ISBN: 0-19-510507-9.

Reviewed for EH.NET by Robert Whaples, Department of Economics, Wake
Forest University.

First a few caveats: 1) I haven't read this five-volume reference
work cover-to-cover. Doing so would be a Herculean task (perhaps
Promethean or Athenian would be a more apt metaphor?). The collection
includes almost nine hundred entries. The articles run to roughly
2500 pages and most pages pack about 900 words. Instead, I've browsed
through it unsystematically, reading a mix of articles on topics I
know a bit about and others on which I know virtually nothing. I've
also turned to it on numerous occasions when seeking additional
background for a lecture, a student's paper, or one of my own. 2) I
contributed two of the encyclopedia's entries -- one (with Sam
Williamson) on cliometrics and one on the economy of the United
States since the Civil War. 3) I'm a reference book aficionado. My
favorite two genres of reading as a kid were atlases and almanacs.
(No kidding.) Accordingly, when this work landed on my desk, I could
have found another reviewer, but I decided to review it myself. (Note
that editors at the _Journal of Economic History_ and _Enterprise and
Society_ ended up hanging onto it, as well.) 4) I edit a somewhat
similar work, the _EH.NET Encyclopedia of Economic and Business
History_ (see http://eh.net/encyclopedia/). EH.NET's encyclopedia is
much less ambitious and is designed mainly for high school and
college students, while the volume under review aims at college
students and above.

_The Oxford Encyclopedia of Economic History_ has been advertised as
"the definitive reference on world economic history throughout time."
It assuredly is. The advertising flyer touts it as "comprehensive ...
international ... interdisciplinary ... authoritative ...
accessible." On a 100-point scale, I'd rate it at 99, 90, 98, 98, and
95 in these five categories. The collection is so comprehensive that
there are several encyclopedias embedded within the broader
encyclopedia. For example, the coverage of agricultural topics runs
past one hundred pages, probably exceeding 100,000 words. Most
entries explain unfamiliar terms, the copy editing is superb and only
a handful of entries use mathematical language, making the work
unusually accessible. If only it were available online ...

I've discussed the encyclopedia with many users. If there is a
sustained ripple of criticism, it is that the collection, despite its
avowed intentions, is still too Eurocentric. For example, the volume
contains about 550 pages of entries on specific countries and
regions. By my quick calculations, about 42 percent of those pages
are on Europe, with another 6 percent on English-speaking countries.
29 percent is on Asia, 12 percent on Africa, and 10 percent on the
Americas south of the U.S. Moreover, in many of the excellent
articles covering broader topics (such as lotteries or canal
transportation or immigration -- to randomly select a few), the focus
is mainly on Europe and its offshoots. Likewise, the volume is loaded
with quantitative tables and figures, but this evidence is noticeably
and frustratingly thinner on non-Western subjects.

The critique is somewhat accurate, but I think that it is aimed
incorrectly. Based on conversations with other contributors, the
editors seem to have gone out of their way to push contributors to
internationalize the material in their entries. Any lack of
internationalization, I believe, is instead due to the state of the
economic history field. As Joel Mokyr notes in his thoughtful
introduction, "To some extent it is inevitable that the economic
history of the 'West' is over-represented. The bulk of modern
research in the past decades has been on North America and Europe.
Scholarship and research are what economists call 'normal goods': as
the rich countries of the Western world have become even richer, they
have been able to afford to engage in the scholarship that looked in
the material past of humanity, and naturally, this was biased toward
their own past" (1: xxiii). Should someone attempt such a synoptic
collection a generation from now, I suspect that the balance would
shift markedly away from the "West," as China, India, Latin America
and other regions continue to develop economically.

As is almost inevitable, a few of the authors seem to overstate the
importance of their topics and there are a few misfires. One example
is when the article on "Forests and Deforestation" asserts that
"thanks to its forests, New England became the most powerful and
wealthiest part of British North America" (2: 356) (This is perhaps,
one of the articles that "overdoes" it, as well, talking of
humanity's 10,000-year "war on the forests" and not discussing recent
reforestation in developed regions.) Another case is the entry on
"Financial Panics and Crashes," whose coverage of the Great
Depression in the U.S. gives an antediluvian John Kenneth Galbraith
take on the "Great Crash," devoid of a sense of subsequent research.
To the editors' credit, such lapses are very rare.

At the Economic History Association book display in Nashville, a
crowd gathered around the just-released _Oxford Encyclopedia_ and
proceeded to "ooh" and "aah." On skeptic, however, wondered aloud,
"what would you _do_ with it?" My advice would be to _read_ it and
_assign_ it. It is so packed with information useful to the busy
economic historian, that the marginal product of consulting it or
even simply browsing it is likely to be higher than from reading
almost anything else.

As a contributor, I was impressed by the carefulness of the
instructions and guidance I received from the editors. As a reader, I
am equally impressed by the overcome. Joel Mokyr -- and the rest of
his team: Maristella Botticini, Maxine Berg, Loren Brandt, Erik
Buyst, Louis Cain, Jan de Vries, Paul Lovejoy, and John Munro --
deserve our congratulations. (See
http://www.oup.com/us/brochure/0195105079/?view=3Dusa for more details.)

Robert Whaples is Director of EH.NET and editor of EH.NET's encyclopedia.

Copyright (c) 2005 by EH.Net. All rights reserved. This work may be
copied for non-profit educational uses if proper credit is given to
the author and the list. For other permission, please contact the
EH.Net Administrator ([log in to unmask]; Telephone: 513-529-2229).
Published by EH.Net (April 2005). All EH.Net reviews are archived at
http://www.eh.net/BookReview.

-------------- FOOTER TO EH.NET BOOK REVIEW  --------------
EH.Net-Review mailing list