Date:
------------ EH.NET BOOK REVIEW --------------
Published by EH.NET (August 2005)

Michael Szenberg and Lall Ramrattan, editors, _Reflections of Eminent
Economists_. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2004. xv + 459 pp. $125
(hardcover), ISBN: 1-84376-628-0.

Reviewed for EH.NET by Arthur M. Diamond, Jr., Department of
Economics, University of Nebraska at Omaha.

Most of the essays in this collection were previously published
between 1988 and 2001, as opening articles in issues of _The American
Economist_, which Szenberg has long edited. The book contains a
breathless introduction by Szenberg and Ramrattan, and a brief,
more-restrained, but thoughtful foreword by Kenneth Arrow. I
particularly enjoyed Arrow's comments on the variety of motivations
that productive economists have for doing economics.

Two related collections, edited or co-edited by Szenberg, pre-date
this one. The 1991 _Eminent Economists: Their Life Philosophies_
contained the autobiographies of twenty-two eminent economists, nine
of whom have received the Nobel Prize. _Passion and Craft: Economists
at Work_ contained the autobiographies of twenty economists who were
somewhere in the "middle" of their careers when they penned their
essays before the book appeared in 1999.

The current book consists of twenty-six autobiographical
alphabetically-arranged essays, by the following economists: I.
Adelman, B. Balassa, C.S. Bell, B.R. Bergmann, M. Blaug, M.
Bronfenbrenner, G. Chichilnisky, R.A. Easterlin, R.G. Ehrenberg, V.R.
Fuchs, R.W. Garrison, E. Ginzberg, E.M. Gramlich, E.E. Hagen, G.C.
Harcourt, E. Malinvaud, H.M. Markowitz, A.H. Meltzer, G.H. Moore,
W.Y. Oi, M. Perlman, K.W. Rothschild, F.M. Scherer, J.L. Simon, H.
Uzawa, and A. Walters. How much value you find in this book will
depend partly on how many of these economists are important to you.

I found the most interesting essays to be those by Blaug,
Bronfenbrenner, Perlman, Scherer and Simon. One reason may be that I
had greater prior appreciation of the research of these scholars. But
there are others on the list from whose work I have also benefited,
including Easterlin, Ehrenberg, Fuchs, and Oi.

I think maybe the main reason the most interesting essays are most
interesting is that their authors seem to be somewhat more reflective
and revealing about their intellectual careers and personal
experiences, and what lessons those experiences have for the
profession as a whole, and novice scholars in particular. (Many of
the less interesting essays are basic chronologies of where the
economist went, who the economist encountered, and what the economist
wrote.)

There is a restrained suggestion in the foreword, preface and
introduction that the essays in the book might serve as evidence from
which to inductively glean generalizations about what biographical
and historical events encourage, discourage, or provide direction to
intellectual activities. The essays do indeed sometimes suggest
hypotheses about these sorts of issues.

But the essays would not be quite as useful for any sort of rigorous,
Stiglerian statistical test of such hypotheses, in part because we
are provided no information about the criteria for inclusion in the
volume. I would like to have known how the editors decided who to
invite to contribute to these essays? Did they consult citation
rankings? What percent of the economists invited actually submitted
essays? Were those eminent economists who were invited, and who
submitted essays, a representative sample of the broader population
of eminent economists in their religion, gender, and subfield of
specialization?

About twenty percent of the essays (e.g., Blaug, Bronfenbrenner,
Ginzberg, Scherer, and Simon) offer wise criticism of the
over-mathematization of the economics profession. I personally would
take heart if I thought that twenty percent of the broader population
of eminent economists shared this concern. But alas, I suspect that
those economists inclined to spend time in the kind of philosophical
reflection requested for these essays may be a biased sample, where
those not happy with current trends are over-represented. (On the
mathematization issue, Blaug claims (p. 90) and Scherer presents
evidence (pp. 396-97) that economics has become significantly more
mathematical, and less empirical, than even physics, traditionally
the hardest of the "hard" sciences.)

The editors hope the book will help novice economists make their way
in the profession, and will provide useful source material to
historians of economic thought. While some of the essays might, in
fact, be useful to novices, it is doubtful if many novices will read
the book. Some novices might be discouraged by the $125 price, though
the $50 price of the paperback edition planned for publication in
October 2005 may be slightly less imposing. However, most novices
will probably focus most of their time on producing the research on
which their careers depend, not on reflecting on the wisdom of their
forebears.

If I am wrong and some young economists do pick up this book, I would
most strongly recommend that they read the essays by Bronfenbrenner
and Simon. The Bronfenbrenner essay is well-written, and, with
superficial cynicism, but underlying idealism, offers sage, useful
advice to novices. One example (p. 105): "Teaching, at or below the
undergraduate level, is a common fate, often involuntary, for
economists at some stage of their careers. Economists should
therefore rid themselves, if they can, of the notion that such
teaching is below their dignity, even if their 'average students'
belong in universities only to the limited extent that deaf-mutes
belong in the Metropolitan Opera."

The essay by the late Julian Simon is another I would recommend to
novices. Simon was an outlier in the problems he examined, the method
he applied, and the conclusions he reached. His ability to continue
to be productive in spite of a low level of professional recognition,
may provide an example of what can be accomplished, if one has
sufficient determination, and a sufficiently thick skin.

More likely to make use of the essays than novices are historians of
economic thought interested in recent history. The essays also might
prove useful for other purposes than those mentioned by the editors.
For example, many of the authors focus a large part of their
attention on their intellectual biography. Part of what they tell us
is which of their publications were most important and what the
central messages are of those publications. Thus, some of these
essays offer a fairly palatable basic introduction to some of the
literatures to which these significant economists contributed.

Arthur M. Diamond Jr.'s publications are mainly in the areas of labor
economics, economics of science and the history of economic thought.
He is currently working on several projects related to Schumpeter's
process of creative destruction. His most recent articles have
focused on the contributions to the economics of science and
technology of Edwin Mansfield, Zvi Griliches and George Stigler.

Copyright (c) 2005 by EH.Net. All rights reserved. This work may be
copied for non-profit educational uses if proper credit is given to
the author and the list. For other permission, please contact the
EH.Net Administrator ([log in to unmask]; Telephone: 513-529-2229).
Published by EH.Net (August 2005). All EH.Net reviews are archived at
http://www.eh.net/BookReview.

-------------- FOOTER TO EH.NET BOOK REVIEW  --------------
EH.Net-Review mailing list