From:
[log in to unmask] (Richard G. Lipsey Travelling)
Date:
Here is my answer to the axis reversal question, one that has been in my
text book since its first edition in 1963

"Readers trained in other disciplines often wonder why economists plot
demand curves with price on the vertical axis. The normal conven?tion, which
puts the independent variable (the variable that does the explaining) on the
horizontal axis and the dependent variable (the variable that is explained)
on the vertical axis, calls for price to be plotted on the horizontal axis
and quantity on the vertical axis.

The axis reversal-now enshrined by a century of usage-arose as follows. The
analysis of the competitive market that we use today stems from the French
economist Leon Walras (1834-1910), in whose theory quantity was the
dependent variable. Graphical analysis in economics, however, was
popularized by the English economist Alfred Marshall (1842-1924), in whose
theory price was the dependent variable. Economists continue to use Walras's
theory and Marshall's graphical representation, and thus draw the diagram
with the independent and dependent variables reversed-to the everlasting
confusion of readers trained in other disci?plines. In virtually every other
graph in economics the axes are labelled conventionally, with the dependent
variable on the vertical axis."

Lipsey, Richard G. and Alec Chrystal (1995), An Introduction to Positive
Economics (eighth edition), (Oxford: Oxford University Press), pp 64 (FN
#3).

Richard G. Lipsey