From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Why are economists individualists? There is a two-part
answer: we aim to explain growth and we know that we
possess imagination, creativity, and inventiveness.

We can identify qualities that appear similar to the
imagination, creativity, and inventiveness of human
beings in the higher animals. The forces of evolution
produce qualities that can also be superficially
described by using these words.

But in economics, these words are ordinarily used for
a specific purpose. They are used to help explain the
wealth of nations (progress) under the system of
"natural liberty" (the free market economy). In this
use, their meaning is completely unrelated to higher
animals and the forces of evolution.

Economists adopt the viewpoint of individualism partly
because of their goal of explaining the wealth of
nations. Of course, many economists do not even think
about a goal. And others have more mundane goals that
are unrelated to that of Adam Smith. But it seems to
me that we should focus on the driver of the cart
rather than on the cart, the horse, or the objects
that the horse and cart disturb along the highway.

Pat Gunning