From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
The salient characteristics of human beings is their
capacity to employ the qualities of imagination,
creativity, and inventiveness. When we speak of the
imagination, creativity, and inventiveness of teams or
societies, we are using a metaphor or an analogy. We
mean, for example, that the interaction of the players
or members leads to an outcome that is like that of
the imagination, creativity, and inventiveness of an
individual.

Most of new inventions and ideas that contribute to
economic growth today are not produced by isolated
individuals. They are produced through teamwork. But
the teams are not merely groups of randomly-selected,
unrelated individuals. The members are practically
always deliberately assembled (hired) by an employer
with a vision � one who is imaginative, creative, and
inventive. The entrepreneur who assembles them
possesses a special kind of knowledge � knowledge of
other individuals� knowledge and of their capacity to
be imaginative, creative, and inventive. The
entrepreneur too is imaginative, creative, and
inventive, albeit in a different way.

I wonder whether philosophy is more of a hindrance
than a help here. It seems to me that turning to
philosophy may be similar to turning to math. To take
advantage of knowledge in these fields, it seems to me
that one should be very mindful of the main goals of
economics.

Pat Gunning